About Vintage Stuff

The aim of Vintage Stuff is to display some of the ephemera that I have collected, often inadvertently, over the years. I am now deliberately seeking out interesting old adverts, screen shots, leaflets, obscure record covers, picture postcards and illustrations; anything that catches my eye, in fact. They will be mainly, but not exclusively of UK origin (so many vintage blogs appear to be American) and almost always a scan from something that I actually have in my collection, rather than off the net. If you do re-blog, please acknowledge the source. Further stuff, mainly photographs, can be found on my Flickr pages, via the Benny Hill record cover.

Monday 1 April 2013

Ionicus in the Dales

A while ago, I bought from eBay a run of issues of The Dalesman, a magazine devoted to life in the Yorkshire Dales and surrounding area. I had hoped for a nice selection of advertisements and was not disappointed (see the Brown, Muff's posting, for instance). A bonus were the illustrations on the cover, a humorous take on the month in question. These are credited to "Ionicus", who, thanks to wonders of Google, I now know as Joshua Armitage (1913-98). A regular in Punch, he was also well-known for his PG Wodehouse covers for Penguin, one of which I have added to the end of these Dalesman covers from 1969. Note that the price increased by sixpence from the April edition.......














And finally......................


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful illustrations that are full of charm and humour. He was no mean draughtsman, too.

    ReplyDelete