About Vintage Stuff

The aim of Vintage Stuff is to display some of the ephemera that I have collected, often inadvertently, over the years. I am now deliberately seeking out interesting old adverts, screen shots, leaflets, obscure record covers, picture postcards and illustrations; anything that catches my eye, in fact. They will be mainly, but not exclusively of UK origin (so many vintage blogs appear to be American) and almost always a scan from something that I actually have in my collection, rather than off the net. If you do re-blog, please acknowledge the source. Further stuff, mainly photographs, can be found on my Flickr pages, via the Benny Hill record cover.

Saturday 30 March 2013

Phyllis Ginger

Phyllis Ginger (1907-2005) was a London-born artist and illustrator whose work included a contribution towards the Recording Britain project which was commissioned early during the Second World War; some 1500 pieces of artwork were produced to record the country before possible destruction, or, as was expected, invasion.

I recently picked up a copy of London, a very personal view by Mrs Robert Henrey, which is illustrated by a number of Phyllis Ginger's watercolours. This was first published in 1948, although my copy appears to be a 1955 edition with a 1970 dust jacket (the picture of Parliament Square has been actually stuck on!).



St Gile's Cripplegate

Piccadilly Circus

Leicester Square

Haymarket

2 comments:

  1. Those watercolour illustrations are absolutely wonderful! I hadn't heard of Phyllis Ginger, but will now scour the web. Thanks for introducing me to her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love London and I love these paintings! I have a book with old paintings of London as well, I can leaf through it for hours! (The book is definitely not vintage though.)

    ReplyDelete