About Vintage Stuff

The aim of Vintage Stuff is to display some of the ephemera that I have collected, often inadvertently, over the years. I am now deliberately seeking out interesting old adverts, screen shots, leaflets, obscure record covers, picture postcards and illustrations; anything that catches my eye, in fact. They will be mainly, but not exclusively of UK origin (so many vintage blogs appear to be American) and almost always a scan from something that I actually have in my collection, rather than off the net. If you do re-blog, please acknowledge the source. Further stuff, mainly photographs, can be found on my Flickr pages, via the Benny Hill record cover.

Sunday 5 February 2017

Art Deco in Cumberland



My only visit to the Cumberland town of Whitehaven was on a railway trip in 1979, taking scant interest in the local bus scene. I was therefore unaware of the splendid art deco 1932-built bus station situated on New Road. Closed under Stagecoach, it's future use is uncertain with the site being used for housing being a possibility, although there is a local desire to retain the frontage.

This picture, from a negative in my collection, dates from around 1955, the crew of one of the 1951 all-Leyland PD2s apparently in heated discussion before departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment