About Vintage Stuff

The aim of Vintage Stuff is to display some of the ephemera that I have collected, often inadvertently, over the years. I am now deliberately seeking out interesting old adverts, screen shots, leaflets, obscure record covers, picture postcards and illustrations; anything that catches my eye, in fact. They will be mainly, but not exclusively of UK origin (so many vintage blogs appear to be American) and almost always a scan from something that I actually have in my collection, rather than off the net. If you do re-blog, please acknowledge the source. Further stuff, mainly photographs, can be found on my Flickr pages, via the Benny Hill record cover.

Thursday 3 May 2012

RH&DR Guide

A splendid little guide to the equally splendid little Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway, a favourite line of 'Dunstabelle' and I. This was published by Ian Allan in 1947, the scraperboard cover illustration being, I suspect, by A N Wolstenholme, whose work graced other Ian Allan titles of the period. I bought it in a secondhand bookshop in Bath about ten years ago for just 70p, a bargain even then!


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely scraperboard illustration. Everything about this is charming...and looking at the Ian Allan logo immediately takes me back to my childhood! I've never been to this railway, must make the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ian, you must make the effort. For years I didn't consider it to be a real railway, but the first visit, back in the early 1990s, soon dispelled that idea. Not only does it have a long and interesting history, run diesel-hauled school trains, they even own a Simplex............!

      Delete